Whether you want to kick off a new project or write a shopping list, notes are where you put all of your content, tasks, and information. It's the foundation of Doit.io.
Start with a blank canvas or use a template, and build it as simple or complex as you want it to be. To create a new note, format, or edit, use these steps below.
- Create a new note
- Add a new section
- How to format text
- Color codes
- Drag and drop
- Use of indentation and subtasks
- Share a note
- Archiving notes
- Star a note
- Delete a note
- Change note cover image
Create a new note
- Press the 'Create new note' button in your sidebar
- Give it a name
- Add a label to group notes together for improved structure and visibility
You can add any of these types of content sections to a note:
- Text - Type any text
- Tasks - Create new tasks, assign, set due dates, etc
- Events - Create events with due dates
- Files - Attach and upload files, images, documents or videos
Add a new section
To add a new section you can choose any of the following methods:
- Use the Key: + sign to the left to add a section anywhere in the note
- Click Key: enter after an already existing section
- Go to the bottom of the note
How to format text
Highlight any text to see this menu:
From here you can choose to create headings, bold, italic, add links, create a bullet list, a numbered list or 'highlight' selected text in various colours like you would with a highlighter marker pen. You can also use these shortcuts to format using the keyboard only.
Tip: Tip: For distraction-free writing, hide your sidebar by clicking the symbol on your sidebar
Any section or note that has been edited by someone will show in yellow. The same applies if the note has just been shared. Here are a few examples:
You can also see who edited a section within a note:
You can mark any task, event, file or text field as important by clicking 'Important' in the section menu at the right
Drag and drop
Any type of section can be re-ordered by using drag and drop.
- Hover over any section and use the icon that appears as a handle to drag it around.
Use of indentation and Subtasks
You can indent or outdent any tasks, files, events, or text sections by using the Key: Tab button. This is equivalent to creating a sub-task.
You can share a Doit.io note with colleagues, friends, family, or the entire web. Doit.io is built for collaboration, here's a quick overview of how you can share your work.
- To invite a person, start with the note you want to share
- On the page, click the share icon at the top right
- Enter the person's email address and choose the level of access you want them to have
- Click 'Share' to send an invite
Note: Note: By default all your notes are private, but you can create public notes as well
When you're not sure if you want to permanently delete your work or have the opportunity to restore it later, you can choose to archive it. By archiving note it will be moved to the Archived section in the sidebar.
To archive a note, go to the note menu dropdown at the top right and click 'Archive note'
A similar menu will also appear if you click the 3 dots that can be seen in the top right corner of a note, when viewing from 'Notes'. Various options amongst them 'Archive' will be accessible from there.
Delete a note
Deleting a note will permanently delete the note from your account with no way to retrieve it back. You will be prompted before you delete a note, so that you may confirm your decision.
Alternatively, you can Archive the note so that you may restore it later.
Star a note
You can choose to add a 'star' status to any note, allowing for speedy access. Starred notes will appear in the side bar just above labels. Here's how you can 'star' a note:
- Click the 'Star' icon in your note, from either within the note or in the top right corner of Note cover
- Go to the note and select 'Starred' from the dropdown menu at the top right corner of the note
- Or, go to the same dropdown menu from the Notes view
Show in My Tasks & Calendar
Any tasks or events present in a Note can also be viewed in My Tasks and Calendar. By default any tasks or events created in a note are also are shown in My Tasks and Calendar, however you can choose to hide these from view either by untickting 'Show in My Tasks & Calendar' (as shown above) or by clicking the icon when viewing from within My Tasks or Calendar (as shown below). This is also where you would need to go in the case that you would want to show them once again under My Tasks and Calendar after having previously hidden them.
Change note cover
You can choose to either use the built-in cover art or choose your own image.
- Go to the note, In the note menu dropdown, click 'Change Cover'
- Go to My Notes from the sidebar, and choose 'Change Cover' from the same menu or upload a cover image of your choice